ProfiTap contacted 12 network analysts and had them put their ProfiShark product through its paces. Then the analysts wrote about their specific experiences, feedback and general thoughts.
I read through the pdf's and was intrigued as to what people wrote about and enjoyed hearing from different perspectives.
I personally think the end result was a great mix of articles that i think you would enjoy.
Here's a very brief summary along with the links:
Mike Pennacchi “Measuring Device Latency with the ProfiShark”
- Mike shows us how to use the SPAN mode of the ProfiShark while determining and comparing the latency introduced by a Microtik configured to use NAT.
- Very cool to see Mike sharing the methodology behind his testing.
Stuart “Thor” Kendrick “In-line Tapping in the Data Center”
- Stuart takes us through his trials and tribulations while adding another VLAN to an ISILSON cluster.
- Impressed with the level of detail and photos Stuart provides walking me through ProfiShark Manager and his specific connects.
- Liked that Stuart used another tool ‘mass-ping’ for his troubleshooting.
Jasper “MacGyver” Bongertz “A look at a portable USB3 network TAP”
- Jasper provides a great detailed review and usability tips of the ProfiShark.
- Excellent pros and cons with real world examples.
- Liked the timestamp overview.
Ray “Spock“ Tompkins “Troubleshooting with Gearbit and ProfiShark”
- Ray walks through a “slow response time” troubleshooting engagement
- Very good walk through on how he used Wireshark to identify the root cause
Megumi “The Flash” Takeshita “ProfiShark Long-term Capture”
- Great explanation of packet size vs throughput
- Megumi also covers the installation and configuration of ProfiShark ‘s Manager application
- Fantastic walkthrough on long term captures to a Synology NAS
Tim “Captain” O’Neill "SPAN Port or TAP–CSO Beware" and "The Reality Of Meeting Your Data Visualization Demands"
- One whitepaper discusses if a SPAN port is viable. He covers 5 reasons why SPAN is not a passive technology. When is a SPAN port ‘OK’?
- The other whitepaper covers 5 rules “Basic Rules for Network Data Visualiztion Access”
- What is a VACL and tips about working with them
Phil “Sherlock” Shade
Tom “The Guru” Tosh “Coordinated, Multi-site Visibility With ProfiShark & EZ-Trace”
- Well written introduction to EZ-Trace and how to use it with ProfiShark
Tony “Inspector ”Fortunato "ProfiShark Performance Results"
- Tony uses a traffic generator to compare tshark, Built-in NIC, TAP, SPAN and ProfiShark’s performance
- Explains the impact of packet size on performance and your tools
Brad “AquaMan” Palm "Profishark 1G use case analysis"
- What does Brad do when several tools suggest a system is not compromised?
- He goes to the packet level!