LMTV LIVE | Visibility Architectures - Understanding Security Solutions (with Keith Bromley of IXIA and John Jacobs of Fortinet)
Security is top of mind for most IT departments. Once the subject comes up, everyone has their own ideas about what security tools (IPS, IDS, DLP, WAF, etc.) and what defense strategies (black list, white list, defense in depth, etc.) should be put in place. But what about the functionality that enables the security solutions? How do you create the visibility into the network that you need to create a truly adequate security solution? Join us for the final podcast in this Best Practice series to learn about what a visibility architecture is and how you can use it to create your inline and out-of-band network security solutions.
Key Points of the Discussion:
- A Visibility Architecture is an end-to-end infrastructure which enables physical and virtual network, application, and security visibility
- Inline security solutions (firewalls, IPS, SSL decrypt, WAF, etc.) are installed in the path of live network traffic and can be used to analyze traffic in real-time
- Out-of-band security solutions (IDS, DLP, SIEM, log analysis, etc.) are installed outside the path of live traffic. In this scenario, a copy of the traffic (or select pieces of traffic) is made and forwarded to the appropriate security tools for analysis.
- Network packet brokers (NPBs) are central to either solution because they can parse the requisite data needed and distribute that data to one or more security tools
- NPBs also allow you to serially chain suspect data and pass that data from tool to tool for analysis
- Security tools (like NGFW, WAF, IPS, etc.) can then be used to implement your data analysis strategy
Calls To Action:
- Read the Ixia 2017 Security Report to get a better understanding new security threat trends
- Visit the Fortinet website for more information on security monitoring solutions like next gen firewalls, web application firewalls, SIEMs, etc.
- Download the whitepaper Best Practices for Network Monitoring from the Resources page on www.ixiacom.com
- Watch this webinar (6 Ways Network Visibility Can Optimize Your Network) for an overview of 15 different use cases for network monitoring solutions from the Resources page on www.ixiacom.com
- Visit Out-of-Band Visibility solutions page at https://www.ixiacom.com/solutions/out-band-monitoring or contact Ixia for a demonstration of well it works and how easy it is to use