Are you faced with the responsibility of administering system management tasks on hundreds of Windows desktops each day? Most IT pros and system administrators struggle with remote controlling every PC individually to execute administrative tasks. Sometimes, when the remote access tool used doesn’t offer the level of support required, IT pros and network administrators have to visit the end-user’s desk to render support directly on the computer. This is time consuming and a very inefficient practice!
Windows server management may not be so difficult with all the tools and services offered by Microsoft within the operating system. However, when a sysadmin needs to provide Windows management support to multiple users from a remote system or host location, the tools within Windows most likely are not sufficient and the IT pro may need to find a smart and simple way to provide full remote support and management.
Remote management is a major issue today with user rights and usage restrictions, computer and access misusage, compliance and user audit needs, current legal requirements, etc. The end-user can easily be the problem in your network, so being able to view and control your users remotely is an essential requirement in today’s sensitive networks.
Here is a tool to help solve this problem: DameWare NT Utilities (NTU), part of the SolarWinds family, which simplifies the entire process of logging into a user’s computer to access the system tools and control remotely. From one central administrative console, DameWare NTU can open multiple remote desktops and use the system tools directly without having to open Control Panel or use Windows shortcuts to pull up them up.
DameWare NT Utilities provides easy access to frequently used Windows management tools and is simple to operate
- Simply select the remote user node based on the user’s domain, server or workstation group.
- Click the System Tools button on the left pane, or on the top (as shown in the illustration) to get instant access to a multitude of useful native Windows system tools.
- The Tools button also has useful system management tools such as Ping, Trace Route, Wake-On LAN, TCPIP Utilities, and more.
- Create and add new system tools in a few clicks. Then you can use the tools right along with the built-in Windows management tools.
DameWare NTU has an intuitive, Explorer-type interface so IT admins can view key system information such as disk drives, properties, processes, registry, printers and services for the remote desktop simply and effectively.
DameWare NTU also comes with a built-in Exporter Tool that allows users to capture and generate reports quickly on a score of system properties and information on disk drives, event logs, groups, printers, domain members, properties, software, and more without having to log in individually to retrieve them.
Some system information and attributes that can be captured and exported into CSV or XML formats using DameWare Exporter are:
- Active Directory Properties: AD objects and attributes such as contacts, groups, OUs, etc.
- Standard Properties: Computers, disks, groups, printers, services, shares, software, users and more
- WMI Properties: Win32 data about BIOS, system hardware, accessories, memory, drives and user accounts
DameWare NT Utilities offers support for extended Active Directory management via the exclusive DameWare AD & Exchange Agent, which is automatically deployed from your PC to the domain controller (DC) or Exchange server that you wish to administer.
- Add new users, create their home folders with the correct security settings, create an Exchange Mailbox for the users, and even add their pictures
- Manage all AD objects and attributes such as OUs, GPOs, containers, user groups, contacts, computers, shares etc.
- Manage attributes like photos, employee IDs and other employee information that is not found in native Microsoft tools
- Filter AD objects using pre-defined views or using CN query
- Retrieve, search, and filter all AD objects and attributes
In one single pane of glass, you can view and manage information from multiple systems – no more toggling between systems and windows to use them individually when it can all be done from a central console. With the out-of-the-box DameWare Mini Remote Control (MRC), DameWare NT Utilities is the complete remote support administration package for all your remote access and control needs.
Author Bio: Brandon Whichard is a Sr. Director of Product Strategy at SolarWinds. He is responsible for promoting and setting the strategic direction of the SolarWinds tools products including DameWare and Web Help Desk.