Editor Profile - Tim O’Neill is an independent technology consultant. He has over 30 years experience working in the WAN, Analog, ISDN, ATM and LAN test market. Tim has worked with companies like Navtel, Network General, Ganymede and ClearSight Networks and is now helping companies get lab recognition and technology verification. Tim is also the Chief Contributing Editor for LoveMyTool.com, a website designed to help network managers gain access to valuable information and real solution stories from other customers. Tim is a patent holding, published and degreed engineer, who has seen this technology grow from Teletype (current loop) data analysis to today’s 10 Gigabit LAN’s focused on business applications with heavy compliance demands.
Tim can be reached at tim (at) oldcommguy (dot) com.
A New and Very interesting study!
I would like to share with you some exciting new research that just came to my attention. As we all know, survey data on the technologies, tools, and techniques that you have to master to be a good network operational and/or security professional is hard to find.
Often when you find some interesting study it is so heavily biased that it has little real world value. The big research companies do a good job of looking at and reviewing products from large vendors as well as enterprise-wide, high profile applications in detail but seldom, if ever give any focus to the smaller technologies that help us with our every day successes.
We at Lovemytool.com like to look at all technologies that can help you be more successful and this study is one of those that has relevance to you!
Until now, no one has really dug deeply into the problems and challenges that you, as network and security managers face every day with managing your monitoring and analysis activities. Well, Enterprise Management Associates just released a new research report that does just that. Their study, Monitoring Optimization 2010: Trends and Issues Surrounding Network and Security Monitoring, surveyed your peers to uncover areas where products and services to help you in your daily and growing needs, can stand some improvement.
Here are some of the highlights you will find in the report:
- 81% of you cannot monitor your network the way you would like to!
- 62% of you are being forced to take on additional jobs, pushing you to be more of a generalist!
- A large number of you now understand that the use of filtered visualization can increase your efficiency but 80% of you find it difficult to manage filters with existing interfaces from older technologies!
- Most of you have started migrating to 10GbE, and the biggest headache along the way is what to do with 1G monitoring tools, not to mention affording 10GbE tools to monitor the higher speeds!
- Some of the bigger problems facing you in getting monitoring right is the lack of access to all your important network traffic, sub-optimal tool deployments, and a shortage of available, skilled staff!
Those are some of the main points, but the report includes quite a bit more that I think you will find useful, not to mention enlightening.
Anue Systems commissioned EMA to do this study to help them better understand the market so as to better define your needs to be successful as well as dynamic in your day to day network monitoring and analysis challenges. Anue has obtained the rights to offer you the report and associated presentation, FREE for a limited time.
I really think you should take a few minutes to download and read the report, because it will prove to be helpful in many ways.
I wish you great success with less stress in 2010 - Oldcommguy